Grand Canyon Dip
A dip so deep you create a canyon when you dig in! With multiple layers of deliciousness, the bison shines through. Paired with sweet and spicy salsas, this dip will definitely be the talk of your next get together.
Bison offers a sweeter and more flavorful alternative to beef. Because it is leaner than beef, bison meat doesn’t need to be rinsed – meaning that you aren’t washing away any flavor. Seasoned lightly with notes of smoked paprika, cumin and onion, you can dig in deep with chips or scoop it out to make mile high nachos.
Grand Canyon Dip
- 2 lbs Great Range Premium Ground Bison
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups sweet corn
- 1 cup black beans - drained & rinsed
- 1 cup red onion - chopped
- 1/2 cup honey Aleppo sauce
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
Green Chile Cream Cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese - at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup canned green chile peppers
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup cheddar jack cheese OR cheddar + more for topping
- 1 cup shredded fresco cheese OR mozzarella
- 1 cup guacamole
- 2 cups fresh pico de gallo OR favorite chunky salsa
- 1 cup lettuce
- 1 jalapeno - sliced for topping
- 1/4 cup black olives - sliced for topping
- tortilla chips
- corn chips
- pita bread or naan bites
- carrots and celery
In a large skillet over medium high heat, add the bison and cook until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Season with smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne and onion powder. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature or chill for at least one hour.
Combine the ingredients for the corn salsa and chill. For best results, chill one hour.
Use a hand mixer to stir together the cream cheese, sour cream and green chiles. Leave standing at room temperature.
In a large bowl or deep glass serving dish, begin layering the ingredients starting with a layer of the green chile cream cheese mixture. Chill the base layer for 30 minutes.
Then add your layers, spreading to the edges of the dish: refried beans, cheddar jack, bison mix, pico, green chile cream cheese (chill after each cream cheese layer for 30 minutes), fresco cheese, corn salsa, more bison mix, guacamole, more pico, jalapeno slices, olive slices, lettuce and more cheese as desired.
Chill at least one hour or until ready to serve. Serve with your favorite chips, veggies, pita bread or pile it high and make a plate of nachos. Enjoy!
Like The Starving Chef on Facebook and subscribe on YouTube for weekly recipes. You can find this recipe, and many others, with step-by-step pictures on The Starving Chef Blog.