Black and Blue Bison Burger
Fresh ground bison, blue cheese, caramelized onions, crispy bacon, tomato and a touch of arugula make this burger a staff favorite. We created this recipe to inspire a unique twist on a bison burger, and to ensure that every bite was packed with flavor.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 1 lb (1 package) Ground Bison meat
- 2-4 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese; to taste
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1 large red onion sliced into ½-thick rounds
- Canola oil for grill
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices thick cut bacon - cooked until crisp and torn in half
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard - for serving
- 4 teaspoons mayonnaise - for serving
- 1-1/3 cups baby arugula
- 1 tomato - sliced
Divide ground bison into 4 equal portions and place large indentations in the center of the patties, forming small “bowls.” Sprinkle ½ -1 tablespoon of blue cheese into the center of each patty. Fold the outer edges over the center, encasing the cheese. Set aside.
Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat, open buns and place on the grill about 2 to 3 minutes to toast. Set aside.
Oil grill and add the onion slices. Grill on both sides until grill marks form and the onion is slightly softened, about 8 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Season patties with salt and pepper. Place them on the grill and cook about 3 minutes per side for medium or about 2 minutes per side for medium rare.
Spread each bottom hamburger bun with mayo and mustard and top with the arugula, onion, burger, bacon, tomato and the top bun. Serve immediately.