This delicious Ropa Vieja recipe, created by Lady Tacos de Canasta, is full of traditional and delicious Mexican flavors and features Great Range Bison Pot Roast.
Lady Tacos de Canasta suggests that you can use this flavorful stewed bison meat as filling for tacos, torta sandwiches, quesadillas or on tostadas.
- 2.2 lbs Great Range Bison Pot Roast
- 1/4 onion - cut in chunks
- 1/4 bell pepper - cut in chunks
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 gallon water - as needed
- salt - as needed
- 2 tablespoons pig lard
- 2 onions - chopped
- 1 garlic clove - finely chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes - cut in quarters
- 2-4 chipotle chili peppers
- 1/2 bell pepper - cut in chunks
- 1 cube bouillon seasoning
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- salt - to taste
- 2-3 serrano chili peppers
- 3 roma tomatoes
- 1 whole garlic clove
- 1/4 onion
- pinch of salt
Place all ingredients into pressure cooker and cook for approx 75 until the meat is tender enough to shred.
Let meat cool and then shred (lightly break apart with hands).
Combine ingredients and shredded, cooked meat. Place in frying pan for 10–15 minutes under medium-to-low heat. Add salt, as needed.
Roast the serrano chili peppers and roma tomatoes
Combine roasted ingredients with garlic, onion, and salt. Lightly blend in electric blender to allow for some chunky consistency.
Lady Tacos de Canasta's Suggested Side Dishes and/or Pairings:
Rice serving, hand-made corn tortillas, or Mexican baguette (known as birote/bolillo/torcido in Spanish)
Unaged or aged mezcal liquor with half-wheels of orange or grapefruit and large-grain salt